Saturday, August 29, 2020

Batting

   If anyone knows me, I like to do show quilts. I also make everyday quilts for fun, but I also make at least one or two quilts that are strictly for show. That's what really gets my juices flowing, so to speak. From start to finish, it takes time, effort, research, trial & error. But, oh! The rewards in the end! My studio is a pre-fab building, 18 X 30.  There are beams that are 18 feet across. One of those beams is now full of ribbons! They're not all blue, some are red, some are white, but they all represent a win in a show for the work I've done on my quilts. 

   Part of the process of putting any quilt together is choosing the right batting. A couple of days ago I received an email from APQS that contained an interesting article explaining how to choose your batting for your project. I'll give you the link at the end of this post because there is a chart for you to download that is a good reference tool. 

    I use Hobbs 80/20 for my every day quilts. I buy it by the roll because it's cheaper for me to get it that way. For my show quilts, I use the Hobbs 80/20 on the bottom & Hobbs wool on the top. I want a good loft for my designs. If I don't want them to stand out so much then I won't double bat the quilt.

    APQS has some very interesting articles if you have some time to read them. But here is the link to Dawn Cavanaugh's article on batting:   https://www.apqs.com/how-to-pick-batting-for-your-quilt/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=how+to+pick+batting&utm_campaign=newsletter.august.28.2020

No comments: